Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Fantastic French Sunday!

Last night Courtney, Colton, Tyler, and I had a fun Saturday night in Toulouse. We met at Le Capitole and found a delicious small crepe shop. The owner didn't speak much English so we all Pointed to unknown menu items, but were luckily happy with our choices. The language barrier is terrible in restaurants as we have no idea what the names or ingredients of the dishes are. It's usually a surprise to me when my dish arrives. I had a ham and cheese crepe and a chocolate one for dessert. It was great! We stayed around the capitole and found San Pierre, a district where many local students visit.

This morning it was really nice to sleep in until 10. I finished my paper for class on cultural observations, which was actually quite challenging on a French keyboard. The a, w, and punctuation marks were all in different spots...no speed typing for me in France!

For lunch, a family friend who also hosts UC students came over with her girls, Trisha and Kim. We had our largest, most delicious, and longest meal yet. We had kir and appetizers to start then duck, potatoes, and cheeses followed by a king cake! Trisha found the figure today and was queen! The conversation at lunch turned a little political, but it was really interesting to hear the view on America and our social benefits or lack thereof. I had just discussed collectivism vs individualism in a society in my paper, and enjoyed hearing how that cultural dimension influences political beliefs. I also realized I am much more moderate in my political beliefs than I would have previously thought. Both sides of the spectrum have valid points, and no one is right or wrong.Culture and politics are just different between two groups of people!

This evening I went for a long run and stopped in the Basilica in Toulouse- St. Sernin. It was a beautiful church. I didn't have a camera, but posted a picture below. That is one thing I love about Europe is the chance to see all the wonderful, beautiful churches.

St. Sernin in Toulouse

This evening we had a much needed light meal of salad and cheese and watched a film with Nicolas Cage about the Crusades. It was a lovely evening. I love spending time with our host family. Tomorrow Bernard is hosting 12 of the students for a crepe party! I am so excited! We get out of class early, so I am probably going to go shopping with a few of the girls after class before we make our delicious crepes!

I've been in Toulouse for 8 days now, which is probably longer than I've ever spent in any city at one time. I've been away from home for nearly two weeks... in some ways, it feels like I just left home and other way, it seems like I have been in Europe for ages! It helps that I have the internet and my family's phoneline to call home occassionally. I talked to my mom a few times, and that makes it seem like I am less far away (even if we have to strategically plan the timing because of the time diference). I am loving my time abroad though, and I don't want it to end! I was apprehensive before I came, but I now think I could stay here an entire semester and be very, very happy! I am learning so much about France, the world, cultural differences, business in Europe, the E.U. and more! I am also forming lasting friendships with my host family and the students! Studying abroad was one of the best decisions I have made in college. This is a chance of a lifetime! I am so grateful to have 14 more days of learning and adventures!  

No comments:

Post a Comment