Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wednesday in Galway

Our high hopes for Wednesday didn't go as planned...

The cliffs were not visible due to fog, but we saw the Well of St. Brigid. It was neat to see the religious memorable that visitors have left in memory of loved ones or requesting prayers.

We then decided to drive to Galway. Galway had pretty much to do. It's a college town so we parked on the outskirts and walked to the center of town. We had a great pub lunch at An Pucan. We all enjoyed a cider or Irish beer and some good salads/fish and chips. I'm loving the food! The seadfood is fresh, and everything has great flavor.

We then went to our first Irish mall. I resisted clothes shopping, mostly because I don't have much room in my suitcase.  I got some souvenirs and my big Irish purchase for myself - a claddagh ring!

We found the original and only seller of Irish stamped claddagh rings, Thomas Dillon Gold. The tiny shop was so quaint, and we told Thomas Dillon in Galway is the only seller of real claddaghs. Emily, Jessica, and I all bought a silver one for 45 euros, which I thought was reasonable since knock offs are 20. I turned the ring inward since my heart is taken :) the shopkeeper, Katherine, was our favorite! She talked our arms off for a half hour and took our picture behind the counter!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claddagh_ring
For more on the ring!

We also went inside the St Nicholas Anglican Cathedral that was built in the 14th century- Christopher Columbus worshipped there in 1447!

By that point it was dark and and we got back on the road. We will probably will find a pub near the castle tonight and keep it low key. We drive to Dublin tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment